The name of this lighthouse is derived from the language of the Native Americans who lived on Nantucket, the Wampanoags. Their word “sankoty” means highland, and even erosion hasn’t changed the appropriateness of that name. The brick-and-granite structure sits 70 feet tall on the bluff at the end of what is now Baxter Road in Siasconset, flashing its white light every 7.5 seconds. The stalwart lighthouse was built in 1850, and has not been replaced. Read more...